Keeping a record of utilization, performance, and possible maintenance issues is a complicated task. Higher complications occur when you build up your infrastructure, including multiple components like server, database, messaging, authentication, load balancer, etc.
Let’s take a look at the web hosting control panels (or admin panels) which you can use to manage your VPS or dedicated server. And yes, they are completely free to set up and use.
These days, control panels are popular because they help webmasters interactively manage the environment of their web project. Couple that with how easy they make experts useless.
When you have 1 or 2 servers, then probably its easy to manage it manually, but when you are dealing with hundreds or thousands, then you need a tool. A smart tool which can help to speed up the administrative tasks like installation, patching, configuration, monitoring, etc.
Here are some of the tools you can leverage for an easy and better life. Some of them are free, so you don’t have to convince your boss about the payment.
Best 5 Web Control Panels
1. CentOS Web Panel
centos-web panel is an open source and freely available hosting control panel. It supports CentOS/RHEL 6.x and CloudLinux distribution. It simplifies web hosting management by providing many advanced features and modern panel with full control. The installation is super easy with a few clicks.
In the term of security, the panel has the best Linux Firewall (CSF firewall) along with features like live monitoring, IP access control, automated backups, and complete database management. In addition, it provides file system lock feature that makes your website even more secure against the hackers. CentOS web panel facilitates features such as MySQL with phpMyAdmin Panel, postfix, dovecot mailboxes and Roundcube web interface for emails.
Features CentOS Web Panel
- Web and email domains management: YES
- Web-based virtual servers management: YES
- Database systems management: YES
- Multiple servers from one control panel management: No
- Great flexibility; integration with another control panel: Yes
- Support for IPv6: YES
- Management of DNS: YES
- Management of emails: YES
- FTP administration: YES
- Availability of website statistics: YES
- Multilingual (multiple languages): NO(only English Language supported)
- Management of command line: NO
- User-friendly web interface: YES
- Logfile reporting and access: YES
- Direct access to server logs: YES
- Presence of built-in plugins: YES
- High extensibility with Python: NO
- Authentication of LDAP and 2-factor: NO
- Availability of firewall for maximum security: YES
- Availability of numerous modules for the utmost configuration: NO
- Mirrors and Clusters configuration: YES
- SSH through control panel web-interface: YES
Ajenti is a popular open-source solution which offers browser-based server admin panel. You can install packages and run commands, and you can view necessary server information such as RAM in control, free disk space, etc.
If you are looking to manage multiple websites, then you may consider using an add-on called Ajenti V. It allows you to manage sites based on PHP, Python, Ruby, and Node.js. Ajenti is extremely modular as well as the extensible framework, which is remarkably useful for various use cases.
Features of Ajenti
- Ajenti is readily available on most Linux and BSD distros, including Ubuntu, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise, Debian, and Gentoo
- It is extremely lightweight and portable software, requiring roughly 30 MB memory with an addition of 5 MB per session.
- Ajenti comes with a fast remote terminal, text editor, file manager, and other utilities required for managing remote Linux virtual machines.
Webmin, as the names indicate – a web-based admin panel for a system administrator to manage Unix servers. It supports more than 100 Unix flavored OS. It acts as a comprehensive interface to the underlying applications on servers, including support for configuring applications like FTP, ssh, mail, Web, databases, and more.
Webmin is module-based, which makes it easy to add new functionality and possible for anybody who is keen on writing plugins for server management. There are more than 100 modules available to help you get started.
Features of Webmin
- Webmin offers a plethora of standard modules that allow admins to extend the functionality of their control panels as they want.
- It ships with the mighty powerful Fail2Ban intrusion detector, which protects your server from brute-force and blocks malicious IPs.
- Webmin offers a Perl-based simple, fast, and lightweight file manager alongside a compelling backup utility.
- Admins can easily create and manage DHCP, Clusters, Linux Cron jobs, mails, and mail configuration software.
cPanel is arguably among the best proprietary management panels for web hosting servers. It rose to prominence during the WordPress boom and now supports a majority of servers across the world. It is supported in the iOS and Android platforms alongside standard Linux distros. If you’re looking for a full-fledged professional admin panel, don’t forget to check it out. You can sign up for a free trial that will increase your understanding of cPanel.
Features of cPanel
- It comes with in-built support for several virtual machines, including VMware, KVM, Microsoft Hyper-V, and VirtualBox.
- Mail communication is effortless and provides robust spam detection features utilizing Apache, BoxTrapper, and SpamAssassin.
- cPanel offers multiple layers of security mechanisms such as password protection for directories, GnuPG Keys, IP firewalls, and SSL/TLS.
- It offers a convenient file manager for monitoring disk space usage and creating backups of your web drives.
If your remote server is running on RHEL or CentOS, Kloxo might be the best web hosting control panel for you. It is a full-fledged admin dashboard packed with numerous advanced features. Although the software is currently not in active development, you can quickly get your hands on the source code. However, Kloxo requires more than 2 GB of free storage space prior to installation. Additionally, we recommend a minimum of 1 GB of RAM to supplement your performance.
Features of Kloxo
- It comes with in-built support for many conventional hosting server applications such as Apache, Lighttpd, Djbdns, Bind, and FTP.
- Kloxo allows admins to easily backup their entire hosting environment using robust backup/restoration utilities.
- It comes with in-built support for MySQL and allows admins to manage their databases using PhpMyAdmin effortlessly.
- Kloxo comes integrated with robust utilities for billing, ticketing, and messaging and supports productive workflows.
Logging into each server one by one and manually checking their operation is really very time-consuming for a user. This is why server management has taken so much of our attention over time. Remote server administration tools will facilitate you to manage servers on several sites and improve your efficiency.